To plan a successful marketing campaign you need to accurately identify the online shopping habits of your potential customers in order to increase traffic to your website. One of the most crucial factors is where consumers actually begin a product search. Google has usually been the favoured starting point but the latest analysis of data collected in 2018 has revealed the company’s popularity has reduced to 46%. A total of 54% of digital shoppers are now turning to Amazon and it’s not difficult to understand why.

A Valuable Research Tool

Much of Amazon’s success lies in the convenience of presenting an unlimited variety of available products. Consumers are not only guaranteed an excellent choice of goods but they have access to detailed reviews, technical information and photographs. Everything they need to know about a product and its alternatives is in one convenient location. Consumers are evidently placing an emphasis on product analysis as they take approximately 25.9 days to commit to purchasing an item. The 46% who are still faithful to Google take just 19.6 days. The probable difference is that consumers who have already identified the product they intend purchasing use Google to locate the most cost-effective stockist. Their decisiveness is reinforced by 35% of Google searchers taking five days to make a purchase compared to 19% on Amazon.

Search Rivalry

To combat Amazon’s increasing share of the search for products, Google have introduced a Shopping Actions scheme which favours participating retailers by linking loyalty programs and consumers’ searches. Although Google’s widespread advertising on YouTube and its search engines is designed to lessen its rival’s dominance it has to be remembered that Amazon’s search results follow a different path. When viewing products consumers turn directly to Amazon’s website or Prime Video channel at a rate of 90% over secondary advertising.

Amazon’s Search Result Placements

Product positioning on Amazon is of vital importance to marketers. Products on Amazon with a first page search listing are estimated to gain 65% of the clicks. The first two rows account for the other 35%. Even individual product positions contribute to complex analytical data with those in a fourth placement gaining a click rate of 7% compared to 5.7% for second placement and 5.2% for third.

Successful Marketing Services

In 2017 an estimated 71% of consumers began searching for products online and just one year later that figure has increased by a further 16%. Trends indicate that there will be another rise in the coming twelve months and with Amazon clearly taking the largest share, marketers should not ignore the impact the company could have on their promotional strategies. At Ampology Digital we never underestimate the powerful effect that consumers’ searches for products on Amazon continues to have on marketing campaigns and employ complex data analysis to plan for success. Use our digital marketing services to leverage Amazon in your marketing campaign activities.